Flathead County Coverage

Jan 15, 2013 5:39 PM by Tara Oster - KAJ News

Major changes coming to Glacier International Airport

KALISPELL - Passengers heading in and out of the Flathead will be greeted by a slightly different sight for the next few months.

Glacier Park International Airport might look just a little bit different the next time you fly out of the Flathead, as a four-month renovation project on the terminal is now underway.

"The terminal is being used differently than t was originally designed. And so within the existing walls, we're trying to make the space work more efficiently and accommodate the passengers, the airlines, and security much better," Airport Director Cindi Martin explained.

Construction began this week to update the terminal. The security area is expanding, and more seating in the waiting area is being added as well. The construction will continue until mid-May, but shouldn't impact passengers.

"There are no operational changes whatsoever. The construction will actually be taking place within the confines of construction area walls so the customer won't see anything other than our lovely large white walls," Martin said.

Aside from the security and waiting area improvements, the airport will also expand the gift shop.
These improvements are designed to keep the airport up to date and running smoothly, as well as to give visitors a "sense of place."

"We know that this is often the first and last impression that many people have of this area. We wanted them to know where they were without being very overt and so it's very subtle - there will be a sense of place," Martin concluded.

Construction is scheduled to be completely by May 15th, and will cost about $2 million. Martin told us 90% of the improvements are being funded by the federal government and annual entitlement funds, while the remaining 10% is being paid for by the airport authority.

Connect with KAJ Facebook Twitter Email

  • Story Photo
  • Story Photo
  • Story Thumbnail
  • Story Thumbnail

»Comments

Top Videos

1 2 3 4

Most Popular